[clue] Google Nexus tablet

Vincent Randal vtrandal at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 20 15:40:13 MDT 2012

Hello everybody,

I have been following this thread with a lot of interest. Earlier this year with some reluctance I bought a Motorola XOOM (wifi only) directly from Motorola. The price had come down to $399 and they threw in a speaker docking station and gel pad. But it was still over priced in my opinion since it was a year old now.

I bought this particular XOOM because it's the one mentioned on Google's developer page. I wanted to test a little Android I app I wrote. The app tested out OK. But I wish I had sent the XOOM back to Motorola for a refund :)

What size is this new Nexus 7 tablet? I wish I had waited to get one of these. My XOOM runs ICS (Android 4.0.4). My Galaxy Nexus phone got the 4.1.1 update a few days ago. I have no idea if my XOOM will get updated to Jelly Bean when that comes out.

I guess I should google Google for the Google Nexus 7 :) I would like to know if they put any I/O ports like micro usb or memory card slots - dang a card reader even. I think that is something that's missing from these tablets. Not everything has wireless connectivity. Take my camera for example. I would love to be able to look at my photos right on the spot when I am out shooting pictures. My camera has a tiny little screen but the bigger screen on the tablet would give a lot better idea if I got a good shot.

Anyway, I don't have much use for my XOOM now. Before the Nexus 7 was in the works I got a great deal on an iPad 2 which I just had to have to run "Stuck on Earth" - I'm a Trey Ratcliff fan. The iPad 2 is an all around superior device compared to the XOOM. I wonder how it compares to the Nexus 7.

All in all I have my doubts about tablets since they definitely are not a substitute for a laptop.

Vincent Randal