[clue] Google Nexus tablet

dennisjperkins at comcast.net dennisjperkins at comcast.net
Fri Jul 20 15:52:11 MDT 2012

7-inch. It runs Jelly Bean and I upgraded it to 4.1.1 when I got it last night.

It has a micro-USB port but no memory card slots.

I think the Nexus is well done but I've never used an iPad so I can't compare them. Google has a store so you can buy apps and content. Content is still sparse but you can download the Kindle or Barnes & Noble app and buy from them.

I don't see tablets being a replacement for a laptop. You can buy a Bluetooth keyboard for one, but you've just made the tablet bigger. And tablets have smaller display areas than a lot of laptops and a lot less storage. You can use a cloud, but you won't always have Internet access. On the other hand, they can be a great companion to your wireless network at home or work.

As content appliances, tablets are great because they are small and portable, they boot fast and don't suffer from hard disk crashes.