[clue] clue Digest, Vol 17, Issue 2

Jim Ockers ockers at ockers.net
Mon Jun 4 09:13:47 MDT 2012

Tim,

I would not use any RAID modes built into your SATA controller, AHCI or
otherwise.  In doing so you're asking for trouble, lost RAID arrays, and
lost data, plus it's a lot of unnecessary complexity (which almost
certainly contributed to your earlier frustration and hair-pulling).
For RAID I strongly recommend using the Linux kernel's built-in software
RAID and letting the Linux kernel manage the RAID arrays.

This is about 15 years of sysadmin experience talking.  I use CentOS for
everything.

Jim

--
Jim Ockers, P.E., P.Eng. (ockers at ockers.net)