[clue] Matt's talk.

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Thu Jun 14 22:16:54 MDT 2012

We had a really good meeting on Tuesday.  About 15 people or so showed up--pretty good turnout,
thanks everyone, especially Matt for a nice talk and Chris for hosting!

Matt showed us how to set up VMs with Proxmox.  Proxmox installs on bare metal and it's point and
click from there.  IIRC we used a Centos machine and two Ubuntu machines.

The majority of the talk focused on Puppet.  The Centos machine was the puppet master.  It got
puppet installed and all the config.  The two puppet clients got puppet installed and certs created
to "assimilate" them.

The config was designed to set up the two clients as a MySQL server and an Apache/Wordpress server.

Obviously for the sake of time we didn't do everything Puppet can do.  Nonetheless it handled the
server software installation (and in a cross-platform way so the recipes would work on either
distro).  Rather than installing Wordpress from a native package it was installed from the upstream
tar ball.  Native packages have some advantages but this was a nice demonstration of Puppet's
flexibility and ease of use.

Puppet also handled configuring MySQL for Wordpress and hooking Wordpress into MySQL (you could do
the same approach with custom shell scripts but Puppet makes it simpler and easier).

In the end we had a working Wordpress to use and there were enough questions that we were late for
happy hour (ends at 9).

After the meeting we went to the On the Rocks sports bar just across Lincoln from the McAfee
building.  A bit loud and I don't know about wifi but quite acceptable.  I think we'll continue to
use it until someone comes with a strong recommendation for somewhere else.

Thanks again to everyone who made this happen.  We'll see you in July!