[clue] NTFS logical structure corruption?

Jim Ockers ockers at ockers.net
Fri Mar 9 05:22:41 MST 2012

Hi Dave,

David L. Anselmi wrote:
> dshaw at famece.com wrote:
>
>> i.e., seemingly random files showing 2 hard links that couldn't be
>> confirmed by searching for those inode numbers.
>>

> I wouldn't expect Linux to have anything meaningful to say about file system structures in NTFS.
> What do you think the link count or inode numbers mean?  I don't know so I wouldn't pay any
> attention to them.

While I do agree with you that the Linux re-implementations of NTFS
probably are unlikely to say anything meaningful about the file system
structures in NTFS, I do remember that NTFS supports hard links and
there was even a set of POSIX tools available for Windows NT one of
which was LN.EXE that let you create hard links to a file. It did not
support symlinks and neither did NTFS, but if you created a hard link
then the link count would be incremented for both hard links to the
inode. I don't remember if they used the term inode but there was a
similar concept in NTFS.

Jim

--
Jim Ockers, P.E., P.Eng. (ockers at ockers.net)