[clue] Python/Perl [was Re: speaker for March]

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Thu Mar 29 19:22:14 MDT 2012

David L. Willson wrote:

> I'd love to hear a talk on Python, what it's best at, when/why you would choose it over something
> else (perl, php, bash, whatever).

Here's my take.  If you disagree, sign up to give the talk in April ;-)

Python fills the same niche as Perl but it's less TMTOWTDI so "real" programmers like it better.

Indentation-rather-than-braces was novel when it came out but hasn't changed the world.

Python has trailed Perl in useful libraries that make interesting things easy but has closed the gap
a lot and may reach parity.  When Perl 6 becomes the default the process will repeat the other
direction.

Reasons to use Python:

- you know it better than other choices

- over Perl: Python has a library (or framework) that suits your special purpose and Perl doesn't

- over bash: you're dealing with "data structures" rather than file system/operating system objects

- over PHP: duh! (and this applies to any other choice vs. PHP) ;-)

If you start writing a long rebuttal, do it as a slide show--you'll need it for the talk!