[clue] "networking disabled", Ubuntu or not for future

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Thu May 3 20:41:40 MDT 2012

rex evans wrote:
> I am currently getting "networking disabled" on my Ubuntu 10.04 laptop.

What cards do you have (wired and -less)?

What does lsmod tell you?

If networking ever worked (which kind?), what changed around the time of the failure?

If you can figure out what driver your card uses you might find some useful messages in
/var/log/kern.log (just after a reboot would be a good time to look).

> If Failing in the fix script, and noting that most of the problem seems
> to be with UBUNTU users, is there Another Distro which had
> this problem, and fixed it properly??????????????????????

Without knowing the cause we can't really answer that.

> I am trying to think ahead, if I get another computer, which distro
> would be good for a laptop????????????????

The one you know best.  Or the one your friends know best, if they know more than you do.  I think
you're much better served by figuring out your problem than switching distros.