[clue] Ubuntu Oneiric - title bar weirdness

Lorin Ricker Lorin at RickerNet.us
Tue May 15 11:18:31 MDT 2012

I've been having the same (or related) problem for several months now...
It just "showed up" after some unknown update, I'd imagine.  On 10.04
Lucid: it happens that, whenever I login to my "main account", my
windows title-bars are missing.

Right-click on desktop background, select Change Desktop Background to
bring up "Appearance Preferences", click on Visual Effects tab -- There
I find that, every time, the "None: Provides a simple desktop
environment without any effects." is selected.

So, with each login, I have to go here and (re)click "Normal:...", which
makes the Window Manager go out and hunt for "drivers"; once found, it
redecorates windows with title bars, etc., asks me if I want to "Keep
new (current) settings?" -- I always say "Yes", and things are back to
normal... until the next reboot &/or login.  The "Normal" setting does
not stick.

As this happens only in my main account, I have to believe that
something's gone unpredictably and unfindably wonky with a .hidden_file
Xorg setting... or something similar.  It's a real PITA to have to "fix"
this on every login.

As I'm planning to do a bare-metal reinstall/upgrade to 12.04 (yes,
maybe even acquiescing to Unity), I'll likely leave this problem behind
in a few days or weeks, upgrade schedule permitting.

Just another data point for comparison.  I've a real hunch that relying
on XML-formatted data files for configuration is at the core of this
problem -- that really subtle and un-diagnosable bugs/corruption can
creep into ad-hoc XML syntaxes for keeping track of config-info. Can't
prove it, or even find such problems, as such on-the-fly data structures
are usually pretty much undocumented, even to the developers.

edv -- If Alt+Spacebar makes title bars go away, does anything bring
them back or toggle them?

-- Lorin