[clue] Centos 6.2 Install - Headbanger Time!

Jug Knot jugknot at gmail.com
Wed May 30 15:11:19 MDT 2012

List -

I have a 2009 era Centos 5.7 server (dual Athlon) that I've been trying to
migrate to Centos 6.2.  Here is the partial list of 'headbanger
knocks' that have kept me in a tizzy for weeks -

- Centos 5.7 won't automount DVD media
- BIOS tweaks (boot to CD-ROM) have consistently failed
- ISO images (#$%&!).
- NetInstall vs full ISO CD/DVD
- k3b utility on my Centos 6.2 does not appear to make comparable/readable
media for the Centos 5.7 box
- Hints and tips spread across the Net are inconsistent and often misleading
- etc.....

So today I finally have seemed to 'break the ice'.

- BIOS tweaks (disable AHCI and revert to IDE mode for 3 HDDs)
- System FINALLY reads an ISO image on CD

and then....FAILURE

- 'Can't find install.img' on CD ROM
- NetInstall points at a media cite (mirrors.centos.org...) and 'can't find
install.img'
- Attempt to use 'install from HD' option shows only logical drives (eg
/dev/sda1, etc).

Words can't describe my frustration with this process.  SNAFU/FUBAR are a
good start.

Looking for Sympathy and Advice
jugknot (aka Tim)