[clue] VMWare question

Jim Ockers ockers at ockers.net
Fri Nov 2 21:20:30 MDT 2012

Richard,

Richard Knechtel wrote:
> I am running the free version of  VMWare server v2 in Fedora 17. I
> created a vmware image of my old WIndows XP system and fired it up
> under VMWare. However any program I had installed in it acts like it
> isn't registered and wants me to "re register".  I have been
> searching and searching for anything similar on the web to this and
> have come up with nothing. Does anyone know if there is some setting
> or something so you don't basically have to re register every single
> applications installed in the guest os?
>
> Thanks,

What does it mean "I created a vmware image" ? Did you ghost it? Copy
the files? Use some other disk imaging utility which you didn't specify
the name of? What programs specifically are complaining about not being
registered? Does NOTEPAD.EXE throw up this error? Is it a path problem?
Did your drive letters change?

How did you image your old system and then put the image into your
VMware virtual machine? The answer to that will help us understand why
your Windows system might be acting like the programs are un-registered.

--
Jim Ockers, P.E., P.Eng. (ockers at ockers.net)
Contact info: http://www.ockers.net/