[clue] Encryption and dual booting

Robert L. Harris robert.l.harris at gmail.com
Thu Nov 15 13:24:23 MST 2012

I had a similar issue but found a nice clean fix.  I did a p2v on my
windows partition, dropping the output on my home file server.  Once it was
done I wiped it and put Kubuntu on my laptop (thinking I should have done
encrypted homedir).  Copy the vmware p2v output back to the laptop and use
vmware-player to run my windows image.  The only real problem was I had to
go into the vmware vmx file and change my root drive from ide to scsi since
the source was sata.  Brought it right up and all is well .  No dual boot,
I just run vmwware-player full screen on desktop 12.

On Thu, Nov 15, 2012 at 1:18 PM, Dan Babb <cerberus at dividebyfail.org> wrote:

> So, at work I'm forced to use Windows, and I'd like to actually move to a
> Linux platform and I just can't jump overnight it's a process. I'm curious
> if anyone has any experience working with truecrypt and dual booting
> windows and the whole chainloader process. I've found a few "guides" on the
> web but nothing that sounds any better than tossing the dice and they are
> all dependent on grub2. I personally have a pretty hefty dislike of grub2
> (love grub-legacy) so I've switched to syslinux and I just can't find
> anything about doing a chainloader that way.
>
> Anyone have any thoughts on this?
> Windows is 7 - Linux is Archlinux
>
> The idea again being to phase Windows out and move to a fully linux
> platform

:wq!
Robert L. Harris

DISCLAIMER:
       ALONE.  I speak for                      First One Should Be A Man
       no-one else.                                     - Manowar