[clue] Suggesting a New Approach

M Paul Webb hsechmvt at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 22 12:58:37 MST 2012

Dave,

No, I cannot make it happen. My total
training on computers is a one hour html course at a local library. I
can assist (as I have learned a lot of stuff about computers to the
extent that I might be considered an advanced user – but my
computer usage is mainly DTP and a couple websites), but the true
experts have to be the force to make it happen. Anyway, nothing will
happen unless there is a group effort, as the overall outreach
objective is too comprehensive. And I am a very busy person – so I
work in helping others between a lot of other things, just because I
want Linux to prosper, as it is such a good thing, and Windows is
not; (and I could never count how much time Windows has wasted for
me). However, anytime I help someone else with a computer, I end up
getting a lot out of it – like my recent installation experience,
originally referenced, led to my understanding partitioning much
better, and ultimately that ends up saving me time.

However, if the primary function of the
true experts of this group, in regard to spreading Linux, was to
support others less well trained in relating to the Denver community,
then a much broader outreach could be accomplished, and a lot more
people could be installing Linux. What I'm suggesting is that it
might be time for a more sophisticated business plan, and we all
know, that a business is successful primarily according to how well a
plan is established and executed.

The plan I have suggested so far is not
difficult or complicated in any way. It is just a matter of people in
the group understanding and agreeing to it. It involves designating
who the most knowledgeable members are, having them agree to back up
installers, finding and training installers, setting basic objectives
for installations and meetings, looking for new ideas on what
objectives should be. If everyone just discusses such a plan, it will
implement without a lot of trouble. If the President of the group
does not want to push a new plan, a coordinator could be designated
to get people to communicate and make things happen.

I think if some of the knowledgeable
members got together and put together a simple plan, basic tasks
necessary to implement could be identified, and then sent out to the
group for suggestions. However, I do not even know that much about
the group – as I say, I am busy, and I am not really a computer
person.

One basic task that could be identified
would be how to identify people who would like to try an
installation. Of course, forums and the website could be used, as
well as word of mouth, or just bulletin boards in coffee shops or
work break rooms etc. The more group thought is given, the more ideas
that come up. Other basic tasks could find solutions just from group
review – like finding installers, or even training installers at an
Installfest location. However, just as a test, a few installers could
be designated and some local installations attempted to see how thing
might go. The plan could develop gradually.

I think there also could be more
discussion on the precise nature of the Installfests.

But like I said – just suggesting,
and nothing has to happen all at once.

Paul