[clue] Suggesting a New Approach

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Thu Nov 22 23:21:41 MST 2012

So let me speak bluntly: stop wasting our time.

<rant>
M Paul Webb wrote:
> Dave,
>
> No, I cannot make it happen. My total training on computers is a one hour html course at a local
> library.

You're wrong.

> but the true experts have to be the force to make it happen

Nope.  In Free Software the people who do things make it happen.  Waiting for experts to have time
to care about your idea is a sure way to fail.

> And I am a very busy person...

> What I'm suggesting is that it might be time for a more sophisticated business plan, and we all
> know, that a business is successful primarily according to how well a plan is established and
> executed.

If you don't believe in your plan enough to invest your precious time why do you think anyone else will?

> If everyone just discusses such a plan, it will implement without a lot of trouble.

Discussion accomplishes nothing.  Here's one of my favorite quotes:

"If I'd learned one thing from traveling, it was that the way to get things done
was to go ahead and do them.  Don't talk about going to Borneo.  Book a ticket,
get a visa, pack a bag, and it just happens."

> If the President of the group does not want to push a new plan, a coordinator could be
> designated to get people to communicate and make things happen.

I said in my last post, that's you.  If you have the nerve to show up in a group you don't have time
to get to know and suggest that a bunch of work be done then at the very least you're going to run it.

If you'd like to be our "events" or "installfest" coordinator I can make that happen tomorrow.  If
you'd like to be something else, tell me what and I'll put it on the web site.
</rant>

So, my apologies for speaking bluntly.  I'm not trying to hurt your feelings and I didn't say it was
a bad idea.  But your response seems to be the wrong approach.

Tell me whether this summarizes your reluctance to step up and lead: you don't have the technical
skills, you don't have the time.

As to the latter, assume that everyone on this list is twice as busy as you are.  Maybe that's a
stretch but let's work as if all those with ample time have already volunteered to join you.

As to the former, here are some things that need doing that don't require technical skill:
generating interest; recruiting, training, and coordinating helpers; advertising; recruiting and
coordinating people who need help; continuous evaluation and improvement of the program.  To me that
takes an order of magnitude more time and energy than the technical side of installing Linux.

I said you should find people who need help because in my experience that will be one of the hardest
parts.  If you start inviting people to McDonald's and come back here with "I had 10 (or 5, or 3)
people show up that I had to turn away because I was by myself," I'll bet you get a volunteer for
next time.

I guess I'll skip advice on how I've learned about Linux.  My opinion is that anyone can learn
anything they try to, but maybe that's just me being naive.

So here's the bottom line: everyone has great ideas about what could or should be done, as well as
their own priorities about how they spend their time.  I hope you're passionate about yours.  If you
are then don't say "how about we talk about doing something different".  Say, "I'm doing something
that will change the world.  Come and join me.  Here's how you can help."

You already have what it takes, use it.

Thanks!