[clue] tonido

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Wed Oct 3 19:02:19 MDT 2012

Jason Friedman wrote:
> The download is a .deb file.  Can this be installed as someone other
> than root?  If not, how does one evaluate the entity providing the
> download ... how would I know who to trust?

You don't know who to trust, nor can you. :-)

The gamut is covered here:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/339/how-can-i-install-a-package-without-root-access

A chroot is probably best and widely documented.  The dpkg route could be tried but is more risky
than a chroot (who cares about giving the package root, run as you it can probably wreck the stuff
you care about).

Rather than follow the build instructions there I would learn how to modify the configure and
rebuild the deb.  Once you get the tools it's as easy as make.

An extension to the chroot idea is to install and run in a VM.  There are lots of tools for
building/managing VMs easily and that may be a little more reusable than learning how to
build/manage chroots.