[clue] tonido

Jason Friedman jason at powerpull.net
Thu Oct 4 11:16:19 MDT 2012

>> The download is a .deb file.  Can this be installed as someone other
>> than root?  If not, how does one evaluate the entity providing the
>> download ... how would I know who to trust?
>
> You don't know who to trust, nor can you. :-)

What concerns me most is that installing will create a rogue process.
I know I can use "ps" to examine processes, but I also suppose that
installing this software could replace my "ps" with the attacker's
version.

I was thinking that, before I installed this package, I would take an
md5sum of the ps executable and a snapshot of a ps output.  After
installing I would check the md5sum and, assuming it matched the
previous output, check my ps listing.  If nothing new was running then
I could be reasonable certain nothing bad happened.

Make sense?