[clue] Ubuntu installation question

M Paul Webb hsechmvt at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 5 14:22:13 MDT 2012

At McDonalds someone noticed my laptop
ran so smooth, while his much newer HP laptop (I think it is a G72, and
it has Windows 7) was much worse. So he wants to install Ubuntu
12.04. I burned a disc using Ubuntu on my computer, and I tested it
on my computer, and it works fine.

However, on restarting his HP, the
laptop simply will not recognize the disc for booting. If I click on
the disc while running Windows, and I click on Wubi.exe, I notice an
option is to install some software to add something to Window's boot
loader. However, I do not want to do anything to his boot loader –
because I worry then that the computer might not boot at all.  (And I
surely do not want to do a Wubi).

Then, while stating up the HP, I hit
esc, as it appeared to be the option to go into BIOS. I don't know
what I got, but the only operating system listed to boot from was
Windows.

I cannot find anything on the internet
on what to do. Can anyone tell me how to get this live DVD to boot???
If I brought the laptop to an install fest, could someone get it
installed for us??? He wants Linux only, but I told him to do a dual
boot and keep Windows as well (as for example, he has a Brother
printer).

I hope I can divide the partition using
Windows 7. I've only done such a task with Easeus.

Thank you for any responses.