[clue] Ubuntu installation question

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Fri Oct 5 17:36:14 MDT 2012

M Paul Webb wrote:
> Then, while stating up the HP, I hit esc, as it appeared to be the option to go into BIOS. I
> don't know what I got, but the only operating system listed to boot from was Windows.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&taskId=115&prodSeriesId=4078813&prodTypeId=321957&objectID=c00364979

says you can change the boot order to boot off the DVD.  But you might have to look at the manual
(available on line) to see how to get to the BIOS.

> I cannot find anything on the internet on what to do. Can anyone tell me how to get this live
> DVD to boot??? If I brought the laptop to an install fest, could someone get it installed for
> us???

Yes.  All we have to do is find someone to run an installfest and we'll get one scheduled.  Sorry, I
don't have the luxury of free Saturdays anymore.

> I hope I can divide the partition using Windows 7. I've only done such a task with Easeus.

I've done this using gparted so I'd guess that should still work.  You have to be careful not to let
the installer pick anything silly.  I'd recommend adjusting the partitions and then booting Windows
(which will run a chkdsk) to make sure things still work before starting the install.

Backups are good to have too. :-)