[clue] Requesting more installation help

M Paul Webb hsechmvt at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 15 14:07:38 MDT 2012

Thank you Dave for sending me some help on trying to install Ubuntu 12.04 on a friend's laptop, which actually is an HP G62.

After I figured out how to boot the live disc, I ran into another problem, that I am asking for help on now.

Using Easeus Partition Master, I made a block of space on the hard drive unallocated for the Linux partition. However, on trying to install, the unallocated space came up designated as unusable. Going then to GParted -- it was noted only four partitions can be used, and that I had to make an extended partition to put other partitions inside of. (GParted also showed a 1MB partition of no purpose that Easeus did not show). Well, I never did that before -- create an extended partition, and I have no idea how. However, looking at my laptop, a T61, I note it has an extended partition, with two sub partitions, one for Ubuntu and one for swap. When I installed, I merely had some unallocated space, and Ubuntu made the extended partition automatically without my even knowing it. I also have a 100 MB NTFS system reserve boot, and an NTFS for Windows 7.

At any rate, can someone tell me what to do with my friends computer, in order to have a Windows/Ubuntu dual boot. Here is how the hard drive looks now.
*: System NTFS 199 MB
C:        NTFS 94.39 GB
* unallocated
D: Recovery NFTS 17.35 GB