[clue] Requesting more installation help

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Mon Oct 15 14:57:55 MDT 2012

M Paul Webb wrote:
> Using Easeus Partition Master, I made a block of space on the hard drive unallocated for the
> Linux partition. However, on trying to install, the unallocated space came up designated as
> unusable. Going then to GParted -- it was noted only four partitions can be used, and that I had
> to make an extended partition to put other partitions inside of.
 >
> At any rate, can someone tell me what to do with my friends computer, in order to have a
> Windows/Ubuntu dual boot. Here is how the hard drive looks now.
 >
> *: System NTFS 199 MB
> C:        NTFS 94.39 GB
> * unallocated
> D: Recovery NFTS 17.35 GB
> F: HP_Toos  Fat32 103.34MB

It's a pity the hard drive is so complicated.  I wonder what the 199MB NTFS is for?

It would help if you'd use Linux partition tools to show the drive layout.  Your list doesn't tell
us the partition order or where the free blocks are so you may run into issues that we can't anticipate.

You can Google for DOS partition table and you'll find an explanation of how the extended partition
works.

Assuming that your 4 partitions are (in order) System, C:, D:, and F: you'll want to make D: and F:
into logical partitions inside an extended partition that also contains your unallocated space.

I think gparted can do that.  It ought to be able to move D: and F: without copying their data.  But
I don't have a test handy that I can confirm that.