[clue] fun (not!) with a new computer

Dennis J Perkins dennisjperkins at comcast.net
Sun Sep 23 11:14:15 MDT 2012

I'm responding from my tablet and it looks like I can't bottom post.  Apologies.

It was a problem with SATA and video that made me try Arch Linux.  None of the other distros could handle such a new South bridge chip.  Of course, that meant I had to do some things manually, such as installing X.

That board uses the Radeon HD 4250.  AMD's Catalyst driver or Xorg's xf86-video-ati driver should work and give you the desired resolution.  Xorg should be able to handle this automatically without configuring.

You can use UUID instead of SDA, SDB, to specify the drives to avoid worrying about drive order.  I don't recall the command for determining the uuid of a drive.

You can buy SATA cables that have a straight connector and an L connector.  Maybe Micro center has them.  Or try New egg.