[clue] fun (not!) with a new computer

Collins Richey crichey at gmail.com
Sun Sep 23 11:22:49 MDT 2012

On Sun, Sep 23, 2012 at 11:14 AM, Dennis J Perkins
<dennisjperkins at comcast.net> wrote:
> I'm responding from my tablet and it looks like I can't bottom post.  Apologies.
>
> It was a problem with SATA and video that made me try Arch Linux.  None of the other distros could handle such a new South bridge chip.  Of course, that meant I had to do some things manually, such as installing X.

Mint 12 handles the raid1 and sata just fine. I just needed to reverse
the sata cables to be able to boot.

> That board uses the Radeon HD 4250.  AMD's Catalyst driver or Xorg's xf86-video-ati driver should work and give you the desired resolution.  Xorg should be able to handle this automatically without configuring.

Yeah, I know. I was just surprised that a fairly recent Knoppix had problems.

> You can use UUID instead of SDA, SDB, to specify the drives to avoid worrying about drive order.  I don't recall the command for determining the uuid of a drive.
>
> You can buy SATA cables that have a straight connector and an L connector.  Maybe Micro center has them.  Or try New egg.

Yeah, I know. I was just curious if there is any real difference in
use of the cables.

--
Collins Richey