[clue] iSCSI SAN manager software?

Mark G. Harvey markgharvey at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 25 11:10:45 MDT 2012

Got to agree with Jim.  Business requirements & budget are key limits on your solution.

I know that ESXi will work, but I also know of colleagues who are using the free Citrix XenServer & Open-E Lite [ http://www.open-e.com/ ] which allows live migrations of VMs.

There is also Openfiler [ http://www.openfiler.com/openfiler-homepage ] and FreeNAS [ http://www.freenas.org/ ]

I'd love to recommend Proxmox but I've not seen it in wide spread use in production environments.

>Sent: Tuesday, September 25, 2012 10:51 AM
>Subject: Re: [clue] iSCSI SAN manager software?
>

>Jim,
>

>As always when planning something like this, I think that the answer will depend on how you want to connect, available hardware, budget, DR requirements, and what kind of capabilities you want from your file system.
>

>If you're looking for an open-source solution, FreeNAS is good.  I used ESXi with a FreeNAS backend for a while, though I eventually moved from ESXi to Proxmox.
>

>Mike
>

>On Tue, Sep 25, 2012 at 9:44 AM, Jim Ockers <ockers at ockers.net> wrote:
>

>>Hi CLUEbies,
>>
>>I haven't worked on small-scale big-iron IT capabilities like
homebrewed SAN for a couple of years so I feel out of the loop.  We are
setting up VMware ESX and need a homebrewed Linux SAN.  This article http://www.petri.co.il/iscsi-san-vmware-esx.htm suggests OpenFiler,
which seems like it might work.

>>Is OpenFiler what we should use?  Does anyone out there in CLUE-land
have a different suggestion?  I've used Linux IET (iSCSI enterprise
target) before and it worked fine so we like the idea of iSCSI.

Jim Ockers, P.E., P.Eng. (ockers at ockers.net)
Contact info: http://www.ockers.net/