[clue] Upgrading to Windows 8.1 Disables BIOS and Potentially Boot Loaders

webmaster webmaster at graphmangraphics.com
Wed Dec 18 16:35:12 MST 2013

Thanks Larry

Sent from my T-Mobile 4G LTE Device

-------- Original message --------
From: Larry Sawyer <lsawyer at scsdenver.com>
Date: 12/16/2013  6:26 PM  (GMT-07:00)
To: clue at cluedenver.org
Subject: [clue] Upgrading to Windows 8.1 Disables BIOS and Potentially Boot	Loaders

Hey to all,

Something I racked my brain over today, and found very little in terms of correct answers on the net, but saw many were experiencing the same problem. Whilst this may initially sound like a Windows issue (Cuz it is), it may help many Linux homeys that have a dual boot PC that want or plan on upgrading their Windows 8 or 7 to Windows 8.1.

Here’s the problem. When upgrading to Windows 8.1 (Home or Pro) it will automatically Enable “Fast Boot” setting in your BIOS, which will essentially disable your BIOS and any of the typical keystroke combinations during POST, such as Del, F2, F8, F12 or Esc keys. Which in turn disables the option to boot from other devices (USB, CD etc.), or boot into BIOS, and will most likely bypass any Linux boot loaders.

For a quick fix just give me a call. It’s $75/hr for the first hour, with a 30 minute Over-the-Phone minimum, and it’s a toll-free number if calling from within the Denver metro area.

Just joking… While you’re in Win 8’s Metro (P.O.S. Tiles), type “Refresh”, above, from the drop down menu, select “Settings”, then search. Select Refresh for Refreshing Windows, then choose Advanced, and Boot to USB, CD devices (or sumthin similar). It’ll reboot your PC to Win8 Light and then give you different restoration options. Again select Advanced. That will give you several options one of which is to modify your UEFI. Which will reboot PC (AGAIN!…) and get you into the BIOS, where you can Disable “Fast Boot”.

I hope this helps someone in the near future.

All Hail Linus/Linux!!!!

Best regards,

Larry Sawyer
IT Consultant