[clue] media server/NAS build

dennisjperkins at comcast.net dennisjperkins at comcast.net
Tue Dec 31 10:50:04 MST 2013

I'm not sure I want to deal with a mail server either, altho it would be an excuse to learn how to set one up. I was looking for ways to maximize a home server.

I've found out how to do some of what Amahi and OpenMediaVault do. Minidlna (or mediatomb) can serve up movies, pictures and music. You could use subsonic for music too.

Dnsmasq is a combined DHCP server/DNS server and is used by DDWRT and probably OpenWRT and Tomato too. Dhclient can tell DNS what its name is, so you can have a network where everything has a name. I'm using dhcpcd but I think I might have found out how it can do the same thing. I plan to test that tonight.

I wonder if Avahi can name devices too.

I think I'll probably keep Amahi or OpenMediaVault when I'm done. They look convenient and someone has already done the work of building nice interfaces.