[clue] Web host recommendations?

foo7775 at comcast.net foo7775 at comcast.net
Sat Feb 16 11:38:32 MST 2013

Hi all,

I've spent parts of the last several days trying to determine which provider to host my newly-purchased domain with. The site is intended for two primary purposes, the first being to share/highlight/document professional (I.T.) skills that I have developed, some of which I've developed on my own/outside of my 'professional' experience.

The second purpose is to serve as a bit of a communication with one of my nephews who's in his final years of high school & who has an interest in going into the I.T. field - my thought is that I can document (and/or link to) a lot of the basics that he should start learning. So all in all, I'd guess that this sounds a bit "bloggish" (although I'm *hoping* to present it in a way that's a bit more professional than that!) if that helps with the determination of who to suggest.

I've quickly learned that there is a *LOT* of absolute *crap* out there when it comes to reviews of different hosting providers, & some of it looks believable. So far, I've found whoishostingthis.com & dslreports.com, each of which appear to have relatively straightforward information (yes, I knew of dslreports before this week).

Additionally, I'm also looking to refresh some skills that I haven't used in a while (say DNS), or develop some that I simply haven't had a chance to in my professional life (Apache, Postfix). It seems that the "easy" thing to do would be to self-host which I have no problem with, except that trying to host a domain's email with dynamic DNS sounds like more hassle than it's worth. (Not to mention trying to get my ISP to cooperate, without upgrading to a business plan...)

So - I've said all of that to try & define what I'm hoping to get from the hosting provider, so that anyone who reads this is able to make the best recommendation. The real requirements that I have are that they offer Linux hosting, US-based support, & (ideally) can do it for less than $10/month (I don't expect a lot of traffic).

At the moment, I'm considering inMotion and BlueHost, but from what I've seen, EVERYONE sucks. Hostgator is NOT an option (I'm not going to send *strangers* a copy of my photo ID!). I'm hoping that a few people here will have some solid suggestions to offer, any & all info is appreciated.

Thanks all.