[clue] Intel wireless 6300 not working in kernels > 2.6.32

Cliff cstones2u at q.com
Mon Feb 25 20:14:09 MST 2013

Hello Denver Linux Users,

This is my first post to your mailing list.  I've been using some distro
of Linux since the beginning of 2007 (Vista was the last straw!)

I know a little about Linux, maybe 2-3 on a 10 scale.  Just enough to
follow directions written with very small words :). But I have managed
to fix a few problems over the years with the help of good folks with
greater experience.

On a short side note, the Installfest page lists the next one for March
3 "2012".  Is this a typo, or has the site not been updated in a while?

Now for my saga;

I recently bought an Acer Aspire One 722. I then bought an Intel
Ultimate N 6300 wifi card to add 5GHz capability to it. The card works
fine on Linux Mint 9, and Ubuntu 10.04.  But later iterations of these
and other distros always freeze up when booting to the live CD.  Kernel
2.6.32 works fine.  But I've tried at least a half-dozen distros
including the aforementioned, Fedora, Suse, Pinguy and Fuduntu with
almost the same result. Anything with a kernel greater than 2.6.32 is
kaput.  Things go merrily along until I get a message like this;

[ 15.354652] iwlwifi 0000:07:00.0
Queue 4 Stuck for 4000ms
current SW read_ptr 2 write_ptr3

The part "0000:07:00.0" is always the same.  iwlwifi is also the same,
with only 2 exceptions where iwlagn took it's place in Mint 10 Gnome and
fedora 15. Fedora 15 even identifies the card by name on one of the
start up lines before freezing on "iwlagn 0000:07:0.0".

I found one site where someone had seemed to fix the problem, but this
person had already booted his system.

  https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=1177976#p1177976

Since I couldn't get mine to even boot, I had no idea how to proceed.  I
have searched frequently over the last several weeks, but haven't found
a definitive "fix' for what's happening.  My hope was to bring my stuff
to an installfest and hopefully get an education.

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.  The error above was
hand typed as I had no way to cut and paste.  And there are probably
many other "unknown, unknowns" that I haven't tried.

Thanks for your help!
Cliff Shelby
Castle Rock, CO