[clue] Intel wireless 6300 not working in kernels > 2.6.32

Cliff cstones2u at q.com
Tue Feb 26 10:08:21 MST 2013

On 02/25/2013 09:39 PM, David L. Anselmi wrote:
> Cliff wrote:
>> The card works
>> fine on Linux Mint 9, and Ubuntu 10.04.  But later iterations of these
>> and other distros always freeze up when booting to the live CD.
> Are you sure you have the right firmware installed?  If not, figure that out first.
>
> It looks like you'll use the iwlwifi driver, but without the correct firmware it won't work.
> Usually that means no wireless and a kernel message about the missing firmware, but it's possible
> that worse things could happen.
>
> Dave
Dave,

In my current system (Mint 9) there appears to be the correct firmware.
The file is "iwlwifi-6000-4.ucode" and is located in the lib/firmware
folder. On advice from this site;

  "http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/iwlwifi"

  I also checked the file config-2.6.32-21-generic in the boot folder
and found the line "CONFIG_FW_LOADER=y".

Then there is this;

"The driver loads the firmware using the kernel's firmware_class
infrastructure. More information can be found under in the
Documentation/firmware_class/README file in the kernel source. In order
to function correctly the driver requires this to be enabled in your
kernel. When you configure the kernel, you can find this option in the
following location:

"Device Drivers ->
     Generic Driver Options ->
         Userspace firmware loading support"

I have no idea where to find "the following location"  They've totally
lost me here.

Assuming there is an issue with the newer distros, how would I go about
looking for the firmware?  My only thought was to try installing the
newer Linux without the wireless card installed, then look for the
needed firmware, and make the necessary corrections. Do you think that
could work?  I seem to remember that there are ways of opening the .iso
file and making changes to it before installing, but I haven't the
slightest idea where to start on something like that.

Thanks again,
Cliff Shelby
Castle Rock, CO