[clue] Slow Pi installs.

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Tue Feb 26 14:28:04 MST 2013

So you can download an image to use with the Pi.  The Raspbian Wheezy image has a lot of stuff (like
a desktop) I don't want and removing it all takes hours.

There's an installer, but it requires you connect a KVM.  That's a hassle.

So I'm thinking about modifying the installer to add net console.  Unfortunately building the
installer image or modifying it doesn't seem to be well documented (but it doesn't look complex so
it should be possible).  Supposedly a base install is over an hour but I wouldn't need several to
add a whole desktop.

Or maybe using debootstrap to build an image might be better.  Might have to build the boot
partition by hand in that case, but that would be easy too.  That wouldn't be limited by SD card or
ARM speed.