[clue] New Hackerspace in progress - Longmont

Mike mikedawg at gmail.com
Wed Jul 3 13:23:33 MDT 2013

Hi Mike,

I just moved to CO about 8 months ago, and when I came up looking for
houses on one visit; I cruised by DenHac. As you said, super awesome
concept, and a lot of neat stuff going on. Unfortunately, I ended up
renting a place in Longmont, and the drive between here and DenHac is
pretty rough, once you start to consider family and kids, and everything.

A similar situation with the various meetups and LUGs as well. Boulder has
a LUG and there is this more Denver-centric LUG. While Boulder isn't too
far, I have a tough time attending so many meetups per week; it would be
nice to have something in Longmont.

We have several people from DenHac's board helping us with our hackerspace
in here, and we're doing our best to build it up. The locations we are
looking to stay in are in maybe shadier parts of Longmont, but honestly, I
would have no problem with the "shadiest" part of Longmont.

If you're interested in the MeetUp for the hackerspace, we have been using
MeetUp to schedule our meetings (
http://www.meetup.com/LongmontHackerSpace/) but we're slowly
transitioning to the website (
http://www.tinkermill.org/ ) and G+ (
https://plus.google.com/103039872489846452718 ).

If you're interested in potential classes or whatever, you can check out
our G+ page for the invite. Let me know if you have any questions.

Mike

On Wed, Jul 3, 2013 at 1:12 PM, Mike Bean <beandaemon at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'd be intrigued.  Depending on time.  Granted, I have a pretty lousy
> track record for making it to clue meetings, but points for good intentions
> right?  (Longmont is about a 20 min drive up wadsworth).  Tried to go to
> denhac a couple times,  always chickened out.  LOVE the concept.  Can't
> afford the member fees and I'll be honest, something about the
> building/neighborhood doesn't exactly scream inviting to me.  OK, OK, let's
> just accept it upfront that I'm a little chicken(@#$%) from time to time = )
>
> Mike Bean
>

> On Tue, Jul 2, 2013 at 11:27 PM, Mike <mikedawg at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> Been doing a lot of work in Longmont; working on building a hackerspace.
>> I'm not sure how many people are near Longmont; however, I've been a member
>> of this list (and Boulder's) for about 6 months, just because I enjoy
>> watching the linux community in action.
>>
>> As part of this movement, we have chosen to do classes to get people
>> involved with the group as well. I'm not sure how much of this list may be
>> in Longmont, or if folks are even relatively close to Longmont, are
>> interested in a drive up to Longmont. We are planning to potentially put
>> together a linux class.
>>
>> I think initially we can start with introductions, maybe work on some
>> installs, and sort of gauge the groups interests. We have space lined up on
>> Saturday's at the Longmont Police Station at 225 Kimbark St (
>> https://www.google.com/maps?q=225+Kimbark+St,+Longmont,+CO&sll=40.16795899989814,-105.09800829058253&sspn=0.12291964176483818,0.2884479871897973&t=m&dg=opt&hnear=225+Kimbark+St,+Longmont,+Colorado+80501&z=16 ).
>> In future classes, again, depending on the groups interests we can aim for
>> more, or less complexity, maybe something like studying for the LPI/Linux+
>> exams, or different topics. We have the space at the Longmont Police
>> station from 1:00 PM - 5:00 PM, but I'm definitely looking at starting the
>> class/group session at 1:00 PM.
>>
>> If anybody can let me know their interests in such a group, it would
>> definitely be appreciated. Let me know if you're interested in meeting up
>> this Saturday in Longmont for this group!
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> --
>> Mike

Mike