[clue] Linux Resume Help

Sat Jul 6 16:06:57 MDT 2013

Sometimes, I have to read resumes and interview.

These are the things I like in a resume:

    • Clear Career Goal
    • Skills Summary
    • Job History Specifics:

        • What was your job title?
        • How many (users, servers, customers, networks, sites) did you support?
        • What products and technologies did you use?
        • Did you manage a budget or employees? How big/many?
        • Did you do something great? How much money did you make or save?
        • Did your work change or save lives?

These are the things I like in an interview:

    • Candidate dressed appropriately for the interview. Clothing should be formal and muted (un-noticed).
    • Candidate behaved appropriately during the interview. Don't say "bullshit solution" during the interview. Say "sub-optimal solution".

These are the things I like in a candidate:

My favorite candidates are self-driven. They have a strong sense of the importance of their time. They want to spend their time on-purpose; they are not interested in giving 40+ hours of their precious time every week to work that doesn't matter. When I ask them about their accomplishments and plans, they have clear ideas about both. They are NOT looking for someone to tell them what to do, in exchange for a check. They are looking for a place to live, grow, express their life's purpose, ~and~ earn an income. They're not hanging back and waiting for a decision to be made, they're eagerly listening and participating appropriately in the decision-making process, then enthusiastically learning, leading, and teaching every day.

Trainer, Engineer, Enthusiast
RHCE Network+ A+ Linux+ LPIC-1 Ubuntu
Mobile 720-333-LANS(5267)

This is a good time for a r3VOLution.