[clue] HAPPY PI DAY!

Jim Ockers ockers at ockers.net
Sat Mar 16 17:46:45 MDT 2013

Hi CLUEbies,

Thanks Mark for the link to the unofficial manual.  I was reading
through it and since I don't have a pi yet I was wondering about this
from section 8.2 of the manual:

8.2 Turn Your Raspberry Pi into a NAS Box

We’ve already seen how the Raspberry Pi can be configured as a media centre. One great way to serve media files to your Raspbmc device is with a NAS box – another easy to setup project (assuming you have a second Raspberry Pi).

Although not suitable for streaming HD videos (due to the use of the Samba server software), a Raspberry Pi NAS box can be set up as a low-power NAS (see, what NAS is).

Why would the use of the Samba server software make this unsuitable for
streaming HD videos?  I use samba all the time on other Linux boxes for
all kinds of file server jobs including but not limited to streaming HD
videos.

I was wondering if anyone out there knew why they would say that. What
is it about the pi, or samba, that makes it unsuitable for streaming HD
videos specifically?  Is it just the overall device slowness?  USB
latency or something else?

Thanks,
Jim

--