[clue] [tech] ethernet bonding versus bridging?

Jim Ockers ockers at ockers.net
Mon Mar 25 14:15:35 MDT 2013

Hi CLUEbies,

Maybe I am the only person with this question but I was wondering if
someone could help me understand the pros and cons of ethernet bonding
versus bridging.  I even googled it but didn't really find a good
explanation of why I should use bridging instead of bonding or vice
versa.
http://kaivanov.blogspot.com/2010/09/network-card-bonding-on-centos.html

I've always just used bridging (brctl add br br0 ; brctrl addif br0 eth0
; ...) to, um, "bond" multiple ethernet interfaces together into one
apparent ethernet interface.  Bridging seems automatic and wizzy and
seems to just work, it's like having an ethernet switch in the box with
multiple uplinks to the next switch.  Automatic fault tolerance, and
without doing any serious performance testing I thought you would get
more bandwidth/throughput (in both directions) by creating a bridge and
putting the physical NICs in the bridge.

Is this not the case?  I see that bonding has a bunch of different modes
you can set based on what you want it to do, and one of the modes is
transmit load balancing.  I also see that you can do traffic shaping/QoS
with tc and various qdiscs and I guess I've never needed or tried to set
that on a bridge interface.

Anyway if someone out there knows all about both of these concepts
{bridge|bond} and cares to illuminate me and this list a bit about
what's better about each and why to use one or the other, I would
appreciate it.

Thanks in advance,
Jim

--