[clue] deploy, configure, & manage

Quentin Hartman qhartman at gmail.com
Thu May 23 14:57:24 MDT 2013

I have a super software crush on Chef. I only use it with AWS and Vagrant
VMs, but it is probably the single most powerful deployment and
configuration management tool I've used. It's totally changed how I look at
system management, and allows me to force-multiply very easily.

I've also used Puppet, and while it's good, my impression is that Chef is
substantially more flexible to the newcomer. You also get the added benefit
of learning Ruby, which can be useful in other areas. Of course this
flexibility can be a blessing and a curse, but I wouldn't have it any other
way. I used cfengine with a former employer, and it's sufficient for a lot
of things, but I wouldn't recommend building a new automation system around
it. I've never used spacewalk. It looks interesting though.

QH