[clue] Owners DB?

Chris Fedde chris at fedde.us
Thu Nov 14 09:17:29 MST 2013

I've built supported or extended systems similar to this several times.
Mostly I've done it using a wiki or ticketing system.  My favorite approach
is to use Trac or a similar ticketing system and a hand full of scripts
that scan and update the several wiki pages. MediaWiki plus the Semantic
MediaWiki extensions are a good approach too but it is missing the
ticketing component.

IMHO the biggest problem with this kind of system is keeping it up to date
over time.  Good intentions fade and complacency sets in.  The best
approach is to hook the knowledge base into the core process management
functionality for your group.
This is why I recommend using a ticketing system for this, and adopting a
rule that no business activity happens unless there is a ticket for it and
the ticket is updated.

Once the ticket culture is in place then questions like "Who built this
file system" can be answered by looking at who was involved in the ticket
created when the filesystem was built.

Tool like Trac, Redmine, MediaWiki, Twiki, GitLab, etc are good for this
because they start with having most of the needed parts and are both
malleable, and extensible in simple ways.

this turned out to be longer than expected.