[clue] stale nfs mounts

Michael J. Hammel mjhammel at graphics-muse.org
Mon Oct 14 11:42:17 MDT 2013

On Mon, 2013-10-14 at 11:24 -0600, Quentin Hartman wrote:
> Personally, I prefer the fstab method for my nfs stuff. I haven't
> found that autofs buys me much for my uses except another moving part
> to debug...

Ditto, though I'm looking into autofs for an embedded project to deal
with user-supplied USB sticks.

> I've found that some variation of the following mount options to
> consistently give performant and usable NFS mounts on my Linux
> boxes:intr,nolock,noatime,tcp,async,rsize=32768,wsize=32768

nolock is fine if you're at home and the only one writing to a file.
tcp can slow accesses a little but deals with recovery better.  Don't
remember what async does.  I add noauto (only mount on my request) and
hard, which is best used to address the lost mount points problem.  Most
of my mounted dirs are for reading only (media, mostly) though a few I
write to.

Also, it's my understanding that NFSv4 is better at this than v3 and
earlier.  Most of my systems are now v4 and I seldom have lost mount
points anymore.

--
Michael J. Hammel                                    Principal Software Engineer
mjhammel at graphics-muse.org                           http://graphics-muse.org