[clue] stale nfs mounts

Quentin Hartman qhartman at gmail.com
Mon Oct 14 11:54:01 MDT 2013

On Mon, Oct 14, 2013 at 11:42 AM, Michael J. Hammel <
mjhammel at graphics-muse.org> wrote:

> nolock is fine if you're at home and the only one writing to a file.

It's also useful when the filesytems you are mounting are for things that
have their own locking systems and the ones that NFS implements break
things. SVN is the big example I've run into often. Or things that are then
exported for use by Samba.

tcp can slow accesses a little but deals with recovery better.

The difference in my testing was negligably small. I really couldn't tell
the difference. I imagine it mattered more back in pre-switched networking
days?

 Don't
> remember what async does.

It lets the client assume that the writes are done before the server
explicitly tells it they are. Helps prevent stuck mounts, and also why I
included the tcp flag.

QH