[clue] a networking riddle

Mike Bean beandaemon at gmail.com
Wed Oct 16 12:37:51 MDT 2013

Sorry I didn't get a chance to respond to this, I wanted to take a second
and say thank you to everybody who's provided feedback.   I'm sorry I
didn't respond to it sooner.

I had an old co-worker, who used to say, follow the chain.  So here's the
chain.   A RHEL 6.3 box (A), living on an ESXi 5.0.0 build-623860 box, with
an eth0 set to 9000 mtu is connected to a vswitch within the host, set to
9000 mtu, which is connected to a 10GB physical wire.  Next comes uncharted
network space, which I have no access to, but our networking guys assure me
six ways from sunday contains no relevant speed or port controls.
Followed by an VMware ESXi 5.1.0 build-1065491 host, running on a physical
10GB wire, with a vswitch
set to 9000mtu, and a RHEL6.3 box set to 9000 mtu in the OS.   So the chain
looks like

RHEL6.3 (A) -> vswitch -> ESXi5.0 -> 10GB wire -> cloud
9000 mtu     9000

cloud -> 10 GB wire -> ESXi5.1 -> vswitch -> RHEL6.3(B)
                                                  9000 mtu    9000 mtu

B can SCP to A, but A cannot SCP to B
Set A to 1500 mtu, and now A CAN scp to B
Set A back to 9000, and scp breaks again.

Set B to 1500 and A to 9000, and it works again
So it works if one is 1500, and the other 9000, but it doesn't matter which
one, they just can't both be 9000.   Because I'm kinda the defacto vmware
guy on the unix team I work on, and because I'm running out of ideas, I
literally exported A from the 5.0 host that it was living on, imported it
into the 5.1 host that B was living on, and tried again with the same
virtual machine, totally identical except for it's IP address.    (I had to
change A's IP address because A and B live in different subnets.)
And it worked!  (scratches head)

Unfortunately, I can't leave it on the wrong subnet, that's not a good long
term option.  I havent' read some of the feedback in this thread yet, so
I'm going to go back and read some of the replies, but right now, I've got
zero ideas.

Mike Bean