[clue] ubuntu upgrading

Lorin Ricker Lorin at RickerNet.us
Sat Sep 7 18:28:05 MDT 2013

Yaverot: David is right -- Full and clean (re)install is likely your
best option, so be sure that all user data (/home/...) is safely
backed-up.  Really, there's no good reason not to go all the way to
current release, or at least to last LTS (12.04).

I know, I know... Unity gets a bum rap, but I'm using latest/greatest
Ubuntus ("plain/main" with Unity, Xubuntu, and Ubuntu Studio) without pain.

If your user is bound to an old(er) Ubuntu desktop style and unwilling
or unable to grok to something new like Unity (which is just fine for a
casual, non-tweak-my-DT type user), then get him/her switched over to
Xubuntu, or even consider one of the current Mint distros/DTs.  But,
IMHO, letting a user (esp. a non-technical one) languish with an old,
unsupportable distro of any flavor, especially if the only excuse is
"don't mess with my desktop", is just asking for trouble... eventually.

If/when you re-install, be sure to do some careful HD repartitioning,
and carve a big (biggest?) one out as the designated /home partition;
this way, future upgrades can be a "clean and full reinstall" without
re-initializing that /home partition.  This doesn't absolve you (or the
user) of making backups, but usually makes a clean install go a whole
lot faster by skipping that backup-and-restore the user-tree step.  Just
a suggestion...

Hope this helps.
best regards,
   -- Lorin