[clue] Website work flow.

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Sun Sep 8 17:21:06 MDT 2013

So there used to be a script that would publish the web site from the server's CVS repository.  I
think there was an attempt to provide remote access to CVS but I don't know if it worked--I always
used local access.  You could run the script from the admin area of the web site and it did some
kind of untar and switch a link.

Rather 20th century :-)

In order to make the code more accessible (anonymously even) it's been mirrored to gitorious.  So
now the work flow looks like this:

Make changes in local git.  Commit them, push them to gitorious.  Use the HTTP account on the server
to pull from gitorious, via an SSH key.

I guess the server changes aren't as atomic as they used to be.  I also don't know how to set up a
local httpd to serve the local git (for testing), which is necessary since PHP is involved.

There it is, 21st century and shiny.  Adding contributors could be done by taking pull requests
through gitorious and whatever other ways they could be supplied.  Or adding keys to gitorious
(commit access).  Other admins could have keys to run the server pulls.  Or they could be automated
by cron, or git hooks, or other notification mechanisms.

So now you know.