[clue] USB tricks.

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Wed Apr 23 09:34:59 MDT 2014

I wanted to unplug/replug a USB device to see what udev would do with it.  But the device wasn't
where I could reach it.  This did the trick:

echo $i >/sys/bus/pci/drivers/ehci_hcd/unbind

$i is the name of the link in /sys/bus/pci/drivers/ehci_hcd that points to /sys/device/...

There's a bind file there too but I didn't need to do anything with it--after the unbind udev did
the right thing.

I've been wanting, for a long time, to be able to turn off the light on my USB stick when I'm done
using it so I'll know it's safe to remove.  I didn't find anything last I looked but maybe it's
worth a try again.

(eject(1) should do that but it didn't.  So maybe there's something in sysfs now.)