[clue] VMs on laptops.

Quentin Hartman qhartman at gmail.com
Mon Feb 3 09:46:57 MST 2014

I have used VM products on laptops successfully quite often. Mostly Vmware
(Workstation or Player) and a little bit of Xen. Xen doesn't strictly
require hardware virtualization support, and neither does VMware. There is
a performance hit, bit it's tolerable, particular for training stuff. I've
used virtualbox as well, but I'm not sure that I've ever done that on a
laptop.

I've never experienced "problematic" virtualization though, aside from a
known buggy release of virtualbox some years back. It pretty much has
either worked completely, or not at all in the cases where I'm trying to
use a tech that needs hardware support on a machine that doesn't have it.

Here's a chart from Intel for reference. Very few of their processors
released in the last several years lack the hardware support:
http://ark.intel.com/Products/VirtualizationTechnology