[clue] Antifeatures.

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Wed Feb 5 13:50:25 MST 2014

Yaverot wrote:
>> But I think it's a useful idea and especially the point that they can't exist in Free Software.
>> So I wanted to share.
>
> Firefox is excellent at designing anti-features (just because they can't charge doesn't change
> the fact they intentionally do malicious things to their users).  Most recently disabling the
> escape key for stopping animated images.  The solution isn't to pay Mozilla, but to upgrade back
> to the older version, or jump to Chrome, Opera or other options.
>
> So they can exist in free software, but they shouldn't survive long there.

Perhaps this is an example of a similar situation that didn't survive:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mozilla_Corporation_software_rebranded_by_the_Debian_project

So is your example a deliberate decision about that feature?  Or is it a change in approach that
can't be disentangled from the feature you like?

Now I suppose we have to argue about the difference between antifeatures and design choices users
don't like (a la GNOME 3).  Is deciding not to make a configuration option for every conceivable
behavior an antifeature? (rhetorically speaking)