[clue] Antifeatures.

Chris Fedde chris at fedde.us
Wed Feb 5 18:49:12 MST 2014

There is a related concept called the anti-pattern.  If you are familiar
with the Gang of Four book which talks about an idea in software
development that is related to a concept from architecture that describes
patterns of design.

Like most metaphors we tend to stretch them in the software world.

So an anti-pattern is a way that things commonly go wrong. One of them is
called "The Golden Hammer" which describes a tool that is so expensive that
we must use it for all of our work or we are assumed to be doing it wrong.
Oracle is an example and perhaps so too is the Microsoft technology
stack.   Another is "Design by Committee"  a group is so worried about
getting it wrong that they produce nothing but dodges.  The Affordable
Health care Act website is an example of that.

C2.com is always a great place to go for pithy technical discussion:
http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?AntiPattern and
http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?AntiPatternsCatalog are couple good links on this
topic.

chris