[clue] Computer Dorking Job Experience

Mike Nolte obiwanmikenolte at gmail.com
Wed Mar 12 09:10:57 MDT 2014

Huh, so I guess it is people you've known.  Do you have any opinions
on whether that's improved job satisfaction?  It obviously seems cool
to work with your friends, but I can also see the potential to strain
things.  Does it make things like salary negotiation awkward?  I'm
obviously biased, but I've always thought that computer dorks are
financially unappreciated.  I've guessed that it's probably a
combination of low self-esteem, aversion to conflict, and it being a
very dynamic field that's evolved quickly.

Any time someone complains about their jobs, I suggest that they
update their resume and post it a few places online.  For me, it's
cathardic just to write down my accomplishments (or lack thereof), but
it also triggers the search bots, and I start to get calls from
pim--errr "recruiters", who tell me what other options I have.  It
seems like all companies hire recruiting firms, even large ones who
already have recruiters in-house (which has always been weird to me).