[clue] How I got FreeSpace2 Open running

Tue Nov 4 12:56:31 MST 2014

Another fun learning experience provided by my flat refusal to run boring OS's. This time, as very bare notes-to-self. If you decide to try them out, let me know how they work for you. I happen to be running Ubuntu 14.04 64-bit but a similar process should work for any Debian-like.

Buy and download FS2 installer from GOG. ($10)
Don't install it.
Download FSO installer from www.fsoinstaller.com into the same folder.
Run the FSO installer something like this:
$ java -jar FreeSpaceOpenInstaller.jar
$ cd ~/FreeSpace2/
$ ./fs2_open_3.7.2_RC4

This one is cool, it tells you all the things that the program wants, that are missing.
$ ldd ./fs2_open_3.7.2_RC4 | grep "not found"

Then you install the things that are missing. In my case, I already had the 64-bit versions of these libs, but needed the 32-bit versions.
$ sudo apt-get install libsdl1.2debian:i386
$ sudo apt-get install libvorbisfile3:i386
$ sudo apt-get install libjansson-dev:i386
$ sudo apt-get install liblua5.1-0:i386
$ ./fs2_open_3.7.2_RC4

I can't wait to try this on a Raspberry Pi. :-)