[clue] Fwd: Linux Engineer position/opportunity

Jim Ockers ockers at ockers.net
Fri Nov 14 00:09:58 MST 2014

Hi Lorin and CLUEbies,

Further to Lorin's e-mail, I'd like to mention that I work for LinkedIn in the Site Reliability Engineering organization and we are hiring technical people, sysadmin types, linux experts, etc.  I feel like lots of people on this list would be very capable of being SRE at LinkedIn.  Please e-mail me offlist with your LinkedIn profile URL and we can discuss the possibilities.  If you don't have a profile on LinkedIn (wat), you should create one right away and make it as awesome as you can.

LinkedIn is growing and we want to keep growing to become a $10BN dollar company.  Not many dot-coms have ever achieved that and our #1 priority is getting talent to make it happen.  The operations people (DevOps, really) like me are responsible for keeping the site up and running with high performance.

The SRE interviews cover things like Linux System Internals, web server config and troubleshooting (including debugging and fixing a malfunctioning apache server), programming (scripting, really), automation for large scale systems, website monitoring/alerting and alert triage, and so forth.  LinkedIn is a huge social networking website and we have "lots" of servers in "lots" of places.

Salary and benefits are amazing.  No seriously the benefits are amazing, and salary is competitive for bay area.  I always tell people I interview that if you get an offer from LinkedIn, you should take it.  Sure you have to pay Silicon Valley rent to live here, but you can live in nifty places like San Francisco and still have a reasonable life.  There's lots going on here in the Bay Area, I love it, except for maybe the occasional earthquake, not so much.  We don't really do remote workers - we have SRE teams in New York, Bangalore, and everyone else is in the Bay Area.

Jim

P.S. The software engineering group is also hiring aggressively.  There was a $10,000 referral bonus for that org recently.  That offer is expired now, I only mention it to give you an idea of the sense of urgency to get great talent.

--
Jim Ockers, P.E., P.Eng. (ockers at ockers.net <mailto:ockers at ockers.net>  <mailto:ockers at ockers.net <mailto:ockers at ockers.net> >)