[clue] Quiet on the list lately?

Collins Richey crichey at gmail.com
Sun Oct 26 15:05:03 MDT 2014

< Per Dave Anselmi.in another thread>

Yes, it's very quiet, and I'm as much of a culprit as any. Due to work, and
family, and too-damn-many dental and medical appointments, and exercise
schedules, I haven't been able to make any of the recent CLUE meetings -
maybe November (cross my fingers), and I've just been a lurker on the list.
I've missed seeing all of you.

Since I get my fill of Linux and storage and backups at $DAYJOB, I haven't
been up to much with Linux in the off hours.

I did manage to complete one project yesterday, and now I have my main PC
running again. and thus I can write emails in comfort in my office..

About 2 years ago I built my own PC based on a Gigabyte 880GA-UDH3 mother
board, a newer AMD cpu, and lots of memory. At the time the only distro
that would install on this box was Linux Mint, but I kept wanting to get
back to PCLinuxOS. The MB has an onboard RAID hip, and I have setup 2 1TB
drives in a mirrored configuration. Until now, I haven't found anything
that can handle that setup.

I tried PCLinuxOS first, and it looked promising. The Livecd detected the
mirror and completed the installation without complaints, but ... pclos is
still using grub 1, and the old grub can't handle this, so the result was
failure to boot.

In the meantime I tried newer Linux Mint, Debian, Ubuntu, and even Mandriva
with no good results.

If I have only tried a later Fedora, I would probably have succeeded.

Since I have a need to keep up with RHEL7 (CentOS7, etc.), I burned a
CentOS7 DVD and gave it a try. Voila, I now have a working system again.

In case anyone hasn't tried that, you can forget about almost anything you
knew about RHEL systems. We have a saying at work: if you liked Solaris 11,
you'll love RHEL7! In both cases, the great wizards have dropped all the
old standard unix/linux utilites and brought forth bright and shiny
incomprehensable utilities that have a lengthy learning curve. Also, the
great wizards in RHEL land have removed the ability to pick your own
package combinations. You just get a few generic choices of system types.

I hope to see you all soon.

--
Collins Richey