[clue] Grub2 core.img too large to embed.

Collins Richey crichey at gmail.com
Sun Oct 26 15:09:14 MDT 2014

In RedHat kickstart, you can code pre installation scripts to lay down the
partitions on exact starting boundaries. Does debian have anything like
that? We used this feature to insure that partitions were efficiently
aligned for better performance under VMware.

On Wed, Aug 21, 2013 at 4:28 PM, David L. Anselmi <anselmi at anselmi.us>
wrote:

> I ran into a case where the grub2 core.img is bigger than the 32kB gap
> between the MBR and first
> partition.  There are lots of discussions about making the gap bigger.
>
> Does anyone know how to make the core.img smaller?  Or is it already
> optimized?
>
> I haven't found a way to control what modules are included in it.
>
>  From grub-install --debug I found the mkimage command:
>
> /usr/bin/grub-mkimage -d /usr/lib/grub/i386-pc -O i386-pc
> --output=/boot/grub/i386-pc/core.img
> --prefix='(lvm/vg0-root)/boot/grub' biosdisk ext2 part_msdos part_msdos lvm
>
> If the list at the end are the only modules included then it seem unlikely
> it can be shrunk.  Using
> various values of -C didn't change the core.img size.
>
> Dave

Collins Richey