[clue] Downtime.

Mike Nolte obiwanmikenolte at gmail.com
Thu Sep 4 11:17:23 MDT 2014

It seems like you'd want something that checked the page from outside.  If
you scripted something and set it up as a cron, you'd only find out about
it if the server was otherwise functional.  I can set up a check on my
Nagios server, though there might be gratis services on the Internet that
do that.  If so, I haven't found any.

If you're interested, the simple check that I usually use to check sites
looks like this (Nagios is CRITICAL on exit 2, OK on exit 0):

#!/bin/bash

Catch() {
  code=$1
  message=$2

  if [[ $code -ne 0 ]]
  then
    echo "ERROR: $message.  Returned $code"
    exit 2
  fi
}

url='http://<some page on my site>'
string='<some string that's on my page when it's working>'
contents=$(curl -s $url)
Catch $? "Could not connect to $url"
echo "$contents" | grep "$string" > /dev/null
Catch $? "Couldn't find $string in $url"
echo "OK: Found $string in $url"
exit 0