[clue] [SFS] When was this server "born"?

Quentin Hartman qhartman at gmail.com
Thu Aug 6 10:30:12 MDT 2015

I agree with David that I've never really cared about that, but looking at
the fielsystem itself seems like decent thing to check if you have to
forensically figure it out for some reason. However! That information is
useless if you are looking at VMs created from images. The creation time on
the filesystem will be from when that image was created, not when the VM
was instantiated.

I did some poking around on my Ubuntu servers for similar thing, and the
most reliable thing I've found so far is the creation date of
"/etc/fstab.d". It's populated at installation (and then again at VM
instnatiation) and is really unlikely to be touched after that in most
cases, but even that isn't real reliable.

QH